Thursday, December 24, 2009

A SHORT POEM BY DANNY...

URAY BASSIT LAENG*...



Christmas is a wonderful time of the year.
Christmas is a time to celebrate with family, relatives,
and loved ones.
Christmas is also a time to give thanks
to people we appreciate.

When I was a little boy,
my mother told me that it is better to give than to receive,
“Uray bassit laeng” she quoted.

When my parents migrated to United States, they strived and made sacrifices
to earn a living.
My parents ensured that our relatives in the Philippines would remain connected,
so every Christmas me parents sent either a “Door to Door” box or some money.
“Uray bassit laeng.”

Tomorrow is Christmas, and it is important to remember our family, loved ones, and relatives who are in the Philippines by giving something;
“ Uray bassit laeng.”

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

---Danny Nitcha


*the closest translation in English which I can think of is EVEN THOUGH HOW SMALL IT(THE GIFT) IS...

***************

Yes Danny, I remember publishing this piece of yours in a poetry form, in one of my early Blogs. I have not seen you yet at that time. During the debut of one of Vicky Tejada's daughters, I saw you at the reception, but we did not talk..I may have that video tape of the party in my VHS collection. But Vicky pointed out to me then that you are one of her cousins from LA..

Then I saw you briefly on stage at the Auditorium during one of the Fiesta dances.

So much water have gone under the bridge since then. But, I will always remember you as that very dynamic emcee with a nice voice, sporting an American accent. I missed the shindig in Las Vegas, but I know there will be more to follow..

Or I might give you a phone call in case we will drop by Cali next year...

Til then, Merry, Merry Christmas to you and your family, and do remember me to Leonard and Vicky Tejada..

No comments: