Thursday, April 3, 2008

...still want your child to take up Medicine?

Hi, Vic

I envy you for talking retirement now. I hope I can do the same! You know doctors do not have a pension plan because we are self employed. We do not even qualify for old age pension because of our in come bracket. I do not deny that we are paid sizeable amount but our overhead is phenomenal. We spend about half of what we make to maintain our office practice and paying our employees. People forget this!

We work our butts off til wee hours in the morning in this very stressful profession. Often times  I hear colleagues, moaning doctoring is not for humans and there has got to be a better way to earn a living. Canada has a severe problem with doctor shortage. It is very difficult to license here. At least in USA, Filipino doctors can work as nurses.

I am very happy for you. I forgot you already retired, right? So it is your wife's turn . God bless!    

ERNESTO

***

For me, it is still the prestige of being called a Doctor of Medicine..It is the most honorable profession of all...

So it seems we are in the same boat..There is also not much money in retirement...:)

But I do remember a little story about a doctor who called in a plumber to fix a leak in his house pipes..The plumber took a look at the leak, tightened  a few thingies here and there and then the leak dissapeared. It did not take him half an hour..Then he presented his bill to the doctor..

The doctor exclaimed: "Holy Smokes, I did  not make this much per hour as a doctor!!"

"Same here," the plumber said." I did not make that much too when I was a doctor.."

****************

 

No comments: