Friday, April 4, 2008

a snake trainer instead of a doctor (!)

---One other down side of medicine, is the sky high income taxes that we have to pay. Interestingly, there  used to be a column in The Medical  Post for Canadian doctors  which survey the practising physicians whether they  would advise their children to take up medicine   and 90 % said no.  One even said that he would rather see his son as a snake trainer in an animal show, another commented that he would not wish it even on his worse enemy. I do believe this is an offshoot of our frustrations on the long hours we have to work as a result of the doctor shortage here.

In Canada, there  are thousands of foregn trained doctors  who are eking  a living doing very demeaning jobs and there is a current petition from our Canadian Medical Association to please ease up the licensing requirements. As I have mentioned, it is very very difficult to get licensed here now. I thank the Lord Almighty for letting me be one of the lucky ones and I also fervently pray that He helps our colleagues in distress.

However, personally I am quite happy with my chosen line of endeavor although I have always wanted to be a school teacher. Happiness and Health are tops in my books and agenda and I like " what does it profits a man if he gains the whole world but suffers from the loss of his soul?  Thanks to the teachings of my religion instructors in Rizal Junior College and the University of Santo Tomas.

By the way for those of you who do not know me, I belong to the RJC class of 1958. Have a nice day everyone and God Bless      

ERNESTO RODOLFO LAURENCIO de LEON

 

No comments: