Tuesday, April 8, 2008

to Rose

a Rose by any name is still a rose

Her complete name was Rose French. During our sing along sessions at the Senior's home, she would always be sitting on her wheel chair close to me beside the piano bench.

For obvious reasons, I try not to be "emotionally involved" with any of the residents attending the music session but after a while, one can not help but to. Especially with one like Rose who after 2 years had a perfect attendance ( except for one Monday when she celebrated her birthday and her family took her out ).

She always had a sweet smile for me when she leaves after the session " I love the way you do harmony," she frequently said while flashing one of her radiant smiles. I try to do a second voice to Miguelita's melody while I play the piano at the same time. The only response I could make was "Thank you.." then I would continue to pack my gears: a portable karaoke amplifier, cables, couple of mikes and song books..

Her legs were swollen because of the painkillers she was taking. The pills are for the pain in her legs caused by a improper blood circulation which resulted to so much pain.

Yesterday, Monday at 6:25 pm, I noticed she was not on her usual spot..

"You know what?" Miguelita told me as I was about to start warming up..."Rose died last Saturday" No wonder many of the residents looked very sad. One named Sarah was constantly weeping during the hour long singing session. She lived in the same wing as Rose. They were close friends.

She was so friendly and cheerful inspite of her pain and suffering.  When a very friendly individual leaves a group  everyone in there feels a deep sense of loss. Friendliness always beget love.

And a person who is loved is always remembered for a long, long time.

Here's to you Rose.  Here is to your new life without any kind of suffering.--#

No comments: