Wednesday, May 30, 2007

On Running

Running for me is the best exercise. It relaxes my mind and strengthen my body. I always jog here in Vancouver. My diet also helps me: I am a vegetarian.

--Rain

*****

 I was talking about you with my son Glen for the last two days. If not for you, I told him, I could not have experience those crazy and  exciting adventures in Agpay. It’s nice to reminisce those days when we were on the top of the mountain ( just a small one )  the three of our companions sleeping while we were gathering and burning firewood so snakes or other reptiles would not be crawling into our space. But when our  turn come to sleep, we had no inkling that instead of guarding the next guard shift went also to sleep. We could have been killed by some NPAs or we could have been mistaken for robbers or cattle rustlers.

Remember the cattle which surrounded us when we woke up? Maybe they were thinking: "What are these people doing here?"

 Remember also the story of those Agpay forest workers who told us somebody was killed and his body was dumped down the cliff near the guest house?.

Ahh what an adventure. When  I remember those stories I feel  shivers running up and down my spine.

--Angelito Domaoan

********

Yep, I visited Agpay several times with different groups. We always rode on a carromata up to San Roque Dam ( the Dam at present is now a multi millionproject worth visiting ) then from here we hiked over a mountain trail straight to Agpay Reforestation Station, the one time pride of San Nicolas, Pangasinan. Each trip has different memories.

The scariest one I remember was when one of my students almost fell about 20 feet into a concrete pavement. I still shiver when recollect this event. Then we always come back to San Roque, via the same route returning to the same spot where our patient carromatero is waiting to bring us back to Asingan.

Yes,the reckless days of youth!---# 

---Vic Costes

 

No comments: