Wednesday, August 8, 2007

a library

books for asingan youth 
 
I 'm overwhelmed at the response of everyone re: the projects  for the library. I intend it to be accesible to evryone  in the comunity so that we maximize our resources. I will make a letter to everyone  re: the book project and we could get inputs from  everyone.
 
I think that danggay is a very ideal venue since it's secure and spacious. I will take some pictures and post it in the yahoogroups and send you copies. 
 
Thank u, God bless!
 
Stauro Tendero Punongbayan
 
*************
 
Manong Vic,
 
I'm with you about the books/library.  I will send $100.00 as a contribution toward shipping.  My only concern is for the children.  I would like that all children/adults from Asingan will have access to it, not just the surrounding barrios. 
 
I will send some books as well.  I've been volunteering at this place "Homeless Prevention" and we get a lot of donations and sometimes we threw them away because no place to put them.  I would be happy to take those books and save it then send. 
 
Please let me know.
 
Cheers,
 
a very close friend
 
**************
Buddy Vic,
 
I am honored to participate in any movement to structure the lives of the  youth of Asingan.  In any humble way I can, Im here to lend a hand.  (Tell me more about this, buddy )
 
****************
Reading is very important..We could teach children how to read, but if there are no books to read, what is the use?
 
Reading helped me a lot, no doubt about that.I was a frequent visitor of the old Asingan Public Library managed by Miss Pelagia Delmendo. This was in the 50's..That library is the pride of the town then.  It was spacious, well ventilated..books lined up neatly on the shelves and there are very beautiful chairs and reading tables in the middle of the floor.
 
Here I borrowed and read so many volumes of different subjects, but my favorite ones were the classics. There were a few there, donated by generous Asinganians abroad at that time. I was able to enjoy OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens, TWENTY YEARS AFTER by Alexander Dumas,  such ponderous volumes but the images one would get while reading the pages filled with stories related by the Master Wordsmiths..Many times I would be oblivious to the calls of supper from my Mom because I want to know what will happen to the characters in those classical novels..
 
The young people who learn and love how to read will go very far, if not physically at least in his mental horizons and the way he talks and deals with his fellow beings...
 
Now I am in the other end here abroad with volumes of  VERY GOOD BOOKS which I collected from second hand stores, garage sales and the GOODWILL stores which sell nothing but donated goods.
 
It is such a waste that books here in North America  are recycled back into pulp because THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM and there is not enough shelves in public libraries to accomodate them all. What with the new volumes that are printed regularly by the publishing houses!
 
But shipping these books also cost money. But if these books reach Asingan and into the hands and minds of our youth, then we would be helping them more in figuring out their own lives which is just ahead of them..
 
I am happy I received and will receive some support from my  friends, many of whom I met in the Internet..
 
Thank you again..God bless us all!!!
 
vic costes
 
************
 
 
 

No comments: