Friday, August 10, 2007

unread comments..which are worth reading..

COMMENTS ON MAPUA REVISITED

Some articles in the AJ get comments. And when it does, I am supposed to get an AOL Alert, but lately some of the comments do not register in my mail box..until today.

Today, I got an AOL Alert from SS, the original author of the MIT write up, and clicking the link I found a heart rending story which I want to share with AJ readers..The story is written by a good friend of mine ( she writes me quite often )  and it brings memories to College days in the Philippines..Here is the that comment...

********************************

It`s funny how I come to know and see in picture for the first time MIT - Mapua Institute of Technology. That very prestigious engineering school where my elder brother came from.  Where my dear old poor parents especially my mother sacrificed everything, every single penny to send my brother to that school with the hope that one day, he will become a successful engineer and and would help the family lead a better life and help younger siblings go to school.  Yes, sacrificed everything that only one among 6 siblings was able to go to college with the full support of the family and others are even obliged to stop their studies to give way to one of their sons.  My brother made it in 1974. passed the board exam as a Mechanical Engineer, found a job and we immediately discovered he got a son. And that`s how I witnessed the hopes and dreams of my parents melted away.

My brother enjoyed and practiced his profession in different parts of the world.  He made a lot of money, however, he never made himself rich.  He ended up with a broken home, gravely ill, bitter and got a miserable life.

The other siblings who did not wait for anyone`s help came out to be a lot better off  than him.  
More generous and most importantly, a lot happier in life.

#1 Comment from larigolotte2412 - 15/05/07 6:57 AM

**************

Reply to langolotte2412 comment:
I just read your comment now since I have published this article in Mr. Vic's Journal.

Since I'm a member of MIT EE'73 and your brother MIT ME'74, surely I've been bumping into him, or him into me, most of the time during our stay at the Intramuros campus. I'm happy to know that I'm a co-alumnus of your brother but I'm sort of shocked to learn he "ended up with a broken home, gravely ill, bitter and got a miserable life."

What happened to one of my close friends at MIT was even worse than your brother. He founded an electrical company with five others in Manila, made themselves prosperous, went to Saudi Arabia to start expansion projects, only to come home a few months later to find out his wife was 'playing fire' eventually separating with her, and took to court his partners who have appropriated to themselves their company's assets.

In no time, he picked himself up, got a job in Kuwait, become a member of the Filipino Society of Electrical Engineers there and was making good until Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. That was the last time I heard. From last news account I read years ago, there are still 2,000 Filipinos unaccounted for in Kuwait as a result of Saddam Hussein's invasion.

Today, I have no information of my MIT friend is still living, and if he does, what's his present lot.
ss6643
#2 Comment from ss6643 - 10/08/07 12:38 PM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is surprising why having a son would spell the difference between success and failure, but it does. because of customs, values or whatever it is that makes a man unworthy having a son out of wedlock.

it is also a big burden upon a person to require or expect him to help his kins in return for something which is the resposibility of the parents and/or the state.

It is also sad that a person comes home to see his wife or her husband with another lover or worse, lovers.

To avoid these poignant scenarios, one possible way is to plan your life. Limit your kids and space them according to your income. marry a trusted lover, yet include in your plan the real possibility of adultery. always remember, it is your life, not even your wife or husband will be there for you absolutely. when you die, life goes on for your family.

and when these things happen, think that it will eventually lessen in effect, and what makes it easier than not to do those things yourself?