Friday, May 16, 2008

the day of the FLAMING trees

Mother Nature works with amazing precision. Every year, during these dates ( May 15 inclusive : give or take two days ) all the crab apple trees in our block and I bet in all Toronto would bring out their red foliage. The landscape would show briefly a mottled red and green. Just for a couple of days. If you blink, you might miss it!

Beside our deck in our backyard, there is one such tree. A few days before Victoria Day, over 20 years ago, our real estate agent showed us the property. . I saw the flaming tree at the back and I said to myself.."I want this place. I want to have a big backyard. " My wish came true a few days afterwards after we signed  the purchase documents.

Every year, after the snow clears away, I "play" at  the base of this tree. I create a miniature village made of porcelain houses. These are really tea candle holders and I can place lighted tea candles at night, if I feel like doing it. They would give an eeire look during summer evenings as if I am staring at Middle Earth.  Miggie  and I would have coffee or tea during such interludes, enjoying the night breeze and listening to the birds who are still doing their mating calls or matings. We have also around twenty moonbeam lamps distributed around the perimeter of the backyard. You know, those gizmos that absorb solar energy during the day and let it flow out at night in form of light.  When I look at the lights from the railing of our deck, I imagine myself to be a ship captain  looking at the dark ocean.

It is a long week end for us, Victoria Day and I think to our friends south of  the Canadian border, it is Memorial Day.

Happy long week-end, every one!---#

 

A close up of our backyard crab apple...

 

There is my fiery tree and its village at the base. I do not know where to place the wooden house. It is so big. So on top it goes!

 

A close up of its base. There is this mini water fountain and grandma willow beside it. If your eyes are good, you will spot Pocahontas. She won't dare jump into this pool...

 

The other side of the tree..The houses look better in real life..if you would come to visit..:)

 

There are four figures beside the tree at the foot of our deck. A rabbit, a boy, a girl and a pig..They are staring at something on the tree..

It is a porcelain girl swinging her heart away!

 

 a long shot of the figures...The stone pathway leads to the driveway and out into Dixon road...

 

At the fringe of our garden are several flowering plants..One such is the Trillium, Ontario's Provincial flower. 

 

This house is in our front yard. It is made of wood. Including the Model T Ford beside it...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although the firewall in my office computer keeps me from viewing these photos, your captions convey enough excitement to tease my imagination and allows me to experience the grandeur of  nature's beauty and bounty in Dixon Street.  Thanks for sharing, buddy.  Having a grand time? Hope so.  Say hi to the high and mighty boss!

Your buddy always,
Ben