Thursday, February 28, 2008

a moving story from Florendo ( Amading ) Romero

ON FORGIVING OTHERS...

( "forgive them, Father...)

I remember Rudy Dumapias whom you mentioned as one of your close childhood friends.... You were in Grade VI and we were in Grade V.  They lived before at the back street of the market and their house is still there,  I think. They are a good  family, and his father was a lawyer. They came very early to America, I heard.  Maybe he doesn't know me but I want to congratulate him for his retirement... . Now he is devoting his time to serve God as a Pastor and that is another accomplishment. !

I would like to relate to you a parallel story that happened in my life concerning Faith. You can call this a testomony.

 

It all started one day, when my wife Alicia (clinical instructor of U.Pangasinan at that time) brought with her a book: The Holy Bible's New Testament which she bought for 4.50 pesos from a man  who went to their school. . We were  then just renting an apartment in Mayombo. It was my first experience to have a Holy Bible in our apartment. Out of curiosity, I started reading it. One page after another during my spare time until I became addicted and I was already able to finish up to ten pages! It became so very interesting. When I reached the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, I couldn't help but cry, my tears rolling my cheeks. 'Twas like I was already at the scene where he suffered his punishments and finally his death! I became more religious since then.

Then I started making pilgrimages..I  walked so many times from our residence ( Mayombo ) to the shrine of Our Lady of Manaoag, a 21 km. distance. I also visited the shrine of Senior Divino Tesoro in Calasiao. I did these praying to GOD that whatever hardships that my family was encountering would be lessened...

On my birthmonth May, while my wife was on affiliation in Manila, I fervently prayed to GOD to grant  me a gift. Before May 31, my birthday, a telegram addressed to my wife arrived. Although it wasn't mine, I opened it up. To my surprise, the message was that she has to report to their office immediately with her papers! When she arrived, I asked her if she applied for a job in Saudi Arabia. I showed to her the telegram. At this time, Freda was already in Jeddah working in a military base for two years already.

In short, she went to Riyahd and worked there for eight long years with 45 days vacation leave yearly. Can you imagine the sacrifices that we went through, seeing each other 45 days a year for 8 years! Whenever she arrived, believe it or not, it was always like a honeymoon .. We missed each other for 320 days each year! For the  8 years that she was away,  I never slept with another woman. As days passed by, we were able to save for our house and lot in Dagupan, Bonuan Gueset. Bought the lot first, then had a house constructed as days  in 1984.

Then our papers arrived from the U.S. Embassy for an interview towards a visa. I told my wife to resign and work on our papers and she did. We finally came here on June 11, 1990. We waited for 17 long years before coming to the US.

One of the most tragic incident that happened to my family ( as if God was testing how strong our faith was ) was what happened to my brother Reynaldo. As I have told you, he also became religious like me. He also walked pilgrimages to Manaoag and prayed also while walking.

On April 11, 1989 some unidentified assailants pounced him, motives unknown. He received 12 stab wounds and his body was dumped into the canal in Kamarquezan, Bayaoas, Urdaneta, Pangasinan. A big stone was also dropped into his forehead by the murderers thinking it would finish him off so he won't be able to name them in case he survived. It was a tragic, grisly end for my brother who was quiet, religious and peace loving.

The case remained unsolved up to this day..We did not pursue it anymore, anyway we can not bring him back to life. As to the killers, we have forgiven them a long time ago.

 

Reynaldo have a son. He graduated as salutatorian in high school. I talked with him about his ambiton.  He said, he wanted to be a dancer or a singer and go to Manila. Okay I said, but we will not help you. Then I suggested, "how about enrolling in pre-nursing?"

He agreed but he wanted to be in Manila. Again I said, we will not help you in this case for I wanted him to study in Pangasinan. So he enrolled in Urdaneta and transfered to U-Pang later for the internship and he graduated with flying colors. He just passed the board exam, and we were grateful fo GOD! I texted him to apply in Europe. He is presently residing in our house in Dagupan together with my brother Zacarias' two daughters and Gloria's son and daughter, all taking pre-nursing also.

---- Florendo Romero

No comments: