Sunday, September 30, 2007

a love poem

Reminiscense of Moonlight Flooded Roads

 

It has been years since I passed by this road

All these times I took that detour by choice

And though I heard it's now paved superbly

I always find funny excuses to steer away

 

But tonight, and for no particular reason

Perhaps, a little help from the flooding moon

The cobwebs of intentional amnesia parted

I seized nostalgia and took the route I dreaded

 

The road is better now, it drives differently

Gone are the potholes and so is that tree

Under which we have held hands and kissed

On one moonlit night that feels just like this!

 

I was a bit surprised by the freshness of it all

The traces and the memories that I still harbor

And though we said we have moved along

O how easily I get moved by an old lover's song

 

Slowly I drove, through some kind of reminiscin'

Memories warmed me with a sweet kind of pain

The bumps of the old road are gone but so is my love

That sweet fine young lady that I use to have…

 

O how I wish the road had stayed the same

The swirling dust, the moon-surface terrain

I could go back to walking under Asingan's sun

Sharing umbrella with my old dear loved one…
 
from Moonshine Struck
 
artwork: Vic Costes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a poet, but I do remember nights like these. Your pain, I cannot empathize, but I think I understand lost loves. Hey, if you can write poems like this, then I’m sure you can still woo any lady out there. Like that old adage says:  “Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.”

Anonymous said...

Nice poem, it plucks the heart strings of an incurable romantic like me. Hey, Ricky, you commented about the words "laugh" and "weep". Let me share you this: I've been to a science exhibition ("Body Works") and I've learned about the six basic emotions that are recognizable among all cultures: anger, joy, surprise, fear, distress and disgust. About "laugh" and "weep"? A Lebanese-American writer has said: You may forget the one with whom you have laughed but you never forget the one with whom you have wept. Maybe this is the reason why the passing away of a loved one is not easily forgotten. Oh, BTW, I share your pain in losing your famous dog whose accidental "passing away" is all over DC.

Anonymous said...

Hi SS,

I hope Mang Vic doesn't mind me hiding out in his blogs for a few days. You're right, I need to get out of DC once in a while. I've made myself too visible out there. So, about this poem and Moonstruck, I think I misread it the first time around. I think it's just a poem about losing a girl, not of "passing away", but growing apart.

Most of us have had those kinds of relationships, I think. And that Lebanese was right, you remember those you wept for, but hardly those you laugh with.  Ironic.