Sunday, September 23, 2007

to SS...

...from Ricky..

SS,

I remember that day clearly. You used the term crab mentality to describe what goes on in our heads and I refused to believe you can generalized that easily. You even went so far to use math concepts to describe some posters' characteristics that day. I read too much from those posts and I came back kicking thinking I was talking to someone else. I really thought you were grammar police. Your remotes were so close and you kept changing your name. Dee kept talking about writing style, but I haven't picked up on it yet. I used to compare remote #s to figure out who I was talking to. And when I finally realized who you were that's when I said it wasn't funny. I thought you were toying with me fully knowing I didn't know who you were.

I still hope that you're wrong, that we, as Filipinos, don't have crab mentality. The comments made in DC do not exemplify the Filipino culture I hold true and dear in my heart. I used to read DC quietly for months before I had the courage to leave my first post. In my head the notorious three, SOB, Archie, Dee, were the most opinionated, stubborn, and pretty much rude and unlikable posters. I couldn't be any more wrong. These three people can pack a wallop with their mouths, but in reality, they are one of the nicest, caring, and dependable people I've met. And it's not pakitang tao either. One only needs to watch and listen to how they interact with their families to know for sure they're genuine.

Here's a trick I learned after those dark days in DC. Do not take anything seriously or personally, unless you know them personally, which can be a little tricky for me since I've made it my business to meet some of them, hehehe. But I can still argue with them without attacking their persons. Understandably, DC can be volatile, after all, we're talking about characters from all walks of life. You can post "how are you" and it's given three different meanings and not one of them is what you meant to begin with. In a heated exchange, we'll post things that we'll never say to each other face to face. WWW does well hiding our identity, but it also allows us to know that there are others out there just like us. I have made more connections in DC with people from different corners of the globe who share my heritage, my beliefs, even my political views than anywhere else. And you gotta admit most of the posters in DC are well read,well informed, eloquent in more than one language, and they keep us busy and entertained. What else can you ask for?

I look forward to seeing you back, and I do apologize for my cheekiness. And I promise never to talk about math again. Ever.

Ricky

********************

I agree to EVERYTHING  you said here except the line.."we, as Filipinos, don't have crab mentality..." I prefer to believe that NOT ALL  Filipinos, have crab mentality....If all Filipinos do not have that mentality, then the Philippines would already have been a Utopia, an Eden, a real PEARL OF THE ORIENT SEAS...:)

--vic

 

No comments: