Tuesday, September 18, 2007

WRITING A FAMILY HISTORY MADE EASY ( maybe )  

I envy you Manong Vic for keeping a chronicle of you family's history. I wished i could write one like this and share it to my siblings especially to my two sons who are growing up in a foreign land. How could i write? I dont even know where to start? I only remember my dad's 4 brothers and one sister. I never had the upportunity to see my grandparents from both sides and had a little knowledge about them too. After reading your very nice article, i will try to scribble whatever this "searching" leads me.--Sammy A..

 

**********

You have also this gift of writing, Sammy as attested by some of  your articles in the AJ...Here are a few tips about writing a story about your family..

1) Listen to as much stories as you can about your parents, grandparents, great grand parents...Now that you still can, write down notes about them..Names, places, dates etc..Keep this notebook where you could eaily access it when you feel the urge to write...

2) Most of the stories I related re: my last posting came from my Mother..She was quite a story teller herself..

3) When you write something, pretend you are telling a story to only ONE PERSON,  someone whom you like..Picture him as someone who is very interested in listening ( and reading  ) your stories. It will inspire you to write and will open up your creative juices in your mind that will flow down into your heart and your hands...

4) Keep your narrative simple. Use simple sentences. Try to use descriptive language as much as you can.When you start correcting your own work, then you could add other better words as you move along...

5) When writing, do not worry re: grammar and spelling..Think first with your heart..you are telling a nice story to that "imaginary" child in front of you..You can always correct your grammar and spelling after you have written down a story which you yourself are happy to read....

 

6) To summarize the 5 pointers, write with your heart, love what you are writing..Think that there is nobody else who could write your family lore except you, who is gifted with this talent for writing!!..Keep on writing..Make it an everyday habit..Use a ball pen and paper if possible. Sometimes there  are so many distractions in the internet that would disrupt your trend of writing/thinking!....

Good luck to you Sammy and for anybody else who would like to write re: their family history!!

***********************************

 

No comments: