Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Passageway to the East

 

We do not really appreciate where we live and what we have until we are exposed to a different situation.  As I roamed this foreign land called China I could not help but to thank what I have in general in that I really do not have any business complaining about the minute details that happen in my life everyday.  In the West it is almost a need to have complains about everything that does not go according to what we have planned.  We tend to forget that what we have in this world is mere temporary yet we learn to be ingrate and tend to take things for granted. For a Westerner the way of life in most parts of China is oppressive yet looking through the eyes of its people I see nothing but contentment and somewhat a glimpse of happiness somewhere in their own simple ways.

 

As I walked through the narrow and dusty passageway of the small town where I was I felt history have enveloped my soul.  It was almost as if I was experiencing my cultural history.  The similarities of the culture of the Filipino and the Chinese people are almost identical then indeed the history of the Philippines came suddenly flowing so freely into my mind.  I have come finally to embrace part of my culture something that I had not a chance to enfold whilst I was growing up.  I was too occupied about my Western culture that I had managed to ignore the richness of my culture to the East.  The people whose blood share what isin my veins with its obvious rich cultural provenance. My intimacy with this country which I initially thought was alien to me slowly made prominence in my being.  I do feel richer in a way to have linked that missing piece in my cultural lineage. Now I do not say I am not Chinese when someone mistakes me for being one. There is nothing to be ashamed of since I was given a chance to experience a walled culture that most Westerners find it interesting yet oppressive.  China is filled with contradiction.  It was probably one of the most capitalist countries I have ever been in my entire life. 

 

My brief expedition in the heart of Eastern civilization left and etched a magical impression within the depths of me.  Everything seems familiar in my surroundings yet nothing appears to be the same.  I initially abhorred the “hole in the ground” referred to as toilet yet its simplicity brought something into me that is so humbling.  The vexation of not being able to connect to the internet whenever and wherever I wanted to was a little inconvenience to pay compared to the insurmountable amounts of knowledge and experience I implored upon myself during my brief stay in the East. The arrogance I have felt prior to going was simply replaced by graciousness to what was demonstrated and extended upon me to make certain that my stay was as comfortable as it could possibly be.  I do feel a sense of embarrassment to myself and to what pioneered my first thought of the place.

 

Now I stand tall and can honestly say to the world that I keep no prejudices towards anyone’s culture but extend affable and high respect to what is learnt from it.  My mind is wide open to accept whatever newness that may come cross my path.

 

Deedee Connors

 

I was overwhelmed by the fact that you buy the live fish then they bring it to the restaurant next door and they cook it to your liking!!!

 

LOBSTERS GALORE!!

 

 

 

 

I have not seen such a colourful lobster before! Yum! I had that for lunch...

 

 

A BEDROOM STORY

 

Although the bed was really hard!! It was comfy..,but I wonder if a regular Chinese person where I was could actually afford to stay in a room like this. This was in the middle of China. I was not allowed to take pictures of other buildings. I was constantly being observed by the watchful eyes of the constabulary. I had to prove as well that I was not a journalist otherwise I would have not been allowed an entry to the country. Though the hotel was very modern and was equipped with internet connection. I was not allowed to send out any emails.  I was told that there are certain days where the government shuts down the internet connection of the whole country.  I guess that day was the day that I was visiting the "bundoks" of China.

 

 

 

 

OUR OVERSEAS OFFICE

 

 

This is our overseas office. I was expecting a rather raunchy type of an edifice but to my surprise the workers actually live nicely and comfortably ( relatively speaking). Their food and lodging are provided by their employers.  I have not realised how vast China was until I have traveled in the middle of it.
 
 
AMONG THE LOCALS
 
 
This reminded me of the PI a little bit where the locals are happily and willingly participate for any photo opportunity by a "dumb" foreigner:):) hahahahah! I thought that I was able to get lost amongst the locals since everyone seem to think when I am in the US that I am Chinese.  Once I reached the hearts of China they thought I was actually from Latin America! Ok, someone told me that from the DC...aaaah it is Susan V aka Rain!!! I became a novelty....in China the place where I thought I could blend very well. Thought wrong..
 
 
Here I am in a canvas!

No comments: