Friday, November 23, 2007

Sonny Espejo's poem in the original Tagalog and an English translation...

I  wrote this  short "tula" on the eve of our "Babang-Luksa" for my beloved son, Isagani Jr. (Jay-ar) which is the main reason why I recently  took a short vacation.  It aims to rationalize the deep, deep loss somehow; and to strengthen our faith that he is now happy with the Lord.

Sonny Espejo

 

Ako Lahat Sila

I AM ALL OF THEM

 

Huwag mo nang tangisan ang aking puntod

Wala ako diyan, di ako natutulog!

Bulong mong dasal, bulaklak mong dulot

Salamat, salamat, huwag ka ng malungkot!

 

Please do not cry over my grave,

I am not there nor do I sleep

Your whispered pray'rs, the flowers you gave

A million thank- yous, again please do not grieve

 

Huwag mo akong hanapin, di ako nawawala

Sa maranyang memorial park di mo ‘ko makikita

Ako’y hanging amihang haplosmo sa umaga

Ako’y ang pagaspas ng mga ibong kumakanta!

Don't look for me, I didn't go away

In this memorial park, you could never see me

I am the North Wind, that blows in the morning

I am the ballad that all the happy birds sing

 

Nakikita mo ba ang bughaw, ningning ng ulap,

Ang luntiang parang, hamog na kumikislap?

Sila’y Ako at ako’y sila, di mo pa ba nakikita?

Di ako nawala, huwag ka ng lumuha pa!

Can you see the  clouds upon the blue?

The verdant fields, sometimes filled with dew?

I am them, they  are me, can't you see?

I never left you, so please don't cry for me!

 

Ako ay sanlibot sanlaksang mga bituin

Ang liwanag ng buwan sa gabing matulain

Himig na maganda, tugtuging indakin

Ako lahat sila, lagi mo sanang iisipin,

 

Nandito lang ako at lagimong kapiling!

 

I am the thousand stars that gleam above

The effervescent moon rays on a poetic night of love

The beautiful music, the dancing filled with glee

I am all of these, so always remember me!

 

 

I am always here forever... beside all of you!!

###############

English translation  and photographs by

Victorio D. Costes

******************

a comment on Sonny Espejo's poem....

Comment from rickytagamanaoag
20/11/07 3:00 AM | Permalink

    How sweet it is to read such a moving tribute of a father to a son. Thank you for sharing such a personal moment in your family's life. I don't know you Sonny, but I know of what you've written on this board, be it in the political arena, social, and personal events. To say that this tragedy befalling your young family's life is devastating is an understatement. It is incomprehensible and unimaginable, to say the least, but you managed to capture the essence of what it's like for a parent to lose a child.
    I remember your daughter's words about their relationship, and in her young mind how she also  likened his spirit to her guardian angel, her superhero. Young minds cope with tragedies much better than we adults.
    You "rationalizing" your loss must be a healing process. Oh, what it must be like for your wife! I don't envy the circumstance, but I do envy the pillar of strength around her. Take care of your family Sonny, you've got a great thing going.
 
*****

 

 

No comments: