Sunday, January 27, 2008

did the ball go through?

another priceless photo!!

Being able to capture a live action photo clearly must surely be a feat..considering no digicams  still existed then..If the house in the background is Dr. Sally Bugayong's ( one of Asingan's dentists ), then the game must have been played on the old basketball court right at the northwestern edge of the town plaza..The new Sports Center building must still be non-existent when this photo was taken.

The street goes all the way to Dupac and on the other end, it will bring one to the back of the Municipal building right into the "Main Street" of our beloved hometown.  Frequented this street also when I was still there because at that time Mrs. Loreto Blando Mizal was still living in that big house a few doors away from Dr. Bugayong's clinic.

Mrs. Mizal ( may her soul rest in peace ) influenced me to pursue writing at least as a sideline. She also finished Journalism at the UST,  and both of us taught at the Rizal Academy for a while. Then she found a job at the Divine Word Academy in Urdaneta, while I went back to school at the UST College of Fine Arts.

One month before the semester at UST ended, I received a telegram from her telling me she is leaving DWA and she recommended me to the school  President to fill up her position. She has a government job waiting in the FORPRIDECOM an agency located in the UP College of Forestry campus.

Manang Loreto is one of the all helping, all giving persons in Asingan. After 2 years, I left DWA and I followed her to Los Banios because she found an editorial position for me at the UP College of Forestry, Department of Forestry extension. I did not have to teach anymore. I  stayed in this job for four years until I received my visa to move to Canada in 1975.

I do not think the old Blando residence still exist.  It is one of the old, Spanish type houses found in Asingan's poblacion. They do not build houses like these ones anymore..

--vic

*****

more excerpts from Archie's..

.... My mom was hoping to see Rain before she's goes back to Canada but I think there's not enough time for her to see her . Well, God willing, there will be maybe another time.

That time that I will invite you to see my Beverly Hills mansion with free tickets, huh? Manong. Ha!ha!ha! I hope that dream will come true, who knows? ----:)

....From the  picture below you can see the "AGA" fans. On the right side of the picture there are 3 "AGA" fans watching us in our short shorts, he!he!he!mamaya hahaplos na sila. Sonny, yong mga players mo nakalimutan ko na ang mga pangalan nila.

a feedback from Sonny :

Archie, you’ve always been the thorn on Dupac’s side. And we never figured out quite rightly how to defend against you. It never occurred to us to consult with Benilda and her airtight defense hehehe. But its not only in basketball that you beat Dupac. I used to share a room in Sampaloc with friends and barrio mates, one of them is your mahigpit na karibal ..hehehe… I am sure you and Benilda still remember him.

Well, the best man won !!

****

For more postings, visit Asingan Message Board..You will be glad you did! Link below..Then click Message  Board after you get into the Asingan Page....

http://www.pangasinan.org/asingan/

1 comment:

mr mizal said...

Loreto Blando Mizal is my Lola