Tuesday, January 29, 2008

  This article first appeared in the AJ  last April 3, 2006
 
HOW THE KIDS PLAYED WAR GAMES IN CABINGCOLAN

by Arsenio Macanas

TWO places in the Western Poblacion  I remember as a kid, were always against each other in a regular kiddie "war game".Why we did them I do not know. How we did them  still lingers in my mind.

We had the war games between Cabingcolan vs. Marketside that started as a child's play, then I think it became  a real one at the end. This game is similar with the paintball game here in America. I think our game was more injurious and harsh than the paintball because , we didn’t have those goggles, masks and the uniforms ( like a full metal jacket). We were armed with paper bullets air gun made of bamboo (we called it palso-ot) and water spray gun( also made of bamboo) using water mixed with chili pepper. If those "bullets"  got you in the eyes, that would leave you blind, either temporarily or permanently. 

These two groups had leaders. The leader of the cabingcolan team was Renato Escorpiso, now  a successful Electrical Engineer ( a multi million Contractor for oil refinery in Asia). Rexie Ramos was the leader of the Market Side, the son of the late ex-vice mayor Rafael Ramos (now  a successful Medical Practitioner). I heard he lives in San Francisco California. These two fellows were 5 years older than me. Anyway, I didn’t know how they started this game I just joined them them later to have fun.

The game started at the back yard of the late Mr. J.Esteban the former teacher from the Rizal Academy. There was a trail then at the property of Mr. Esteban that linked to the late Nana Sebia Escorpiso property (cabingcolan side). Most of the cabingcolan residents used this trail, to go to the Market. Then during the early 80’s the Esteban Family closed this trail with a high  fence,  because some of the passers - by using the trail were abusing the property. I remember the sweet and delicious kakaw trees (cocoa tree). Everybody wanted to help themselves and also to the other fruit trees. I felt guilty cuz I tasted quite a few of them( he!he!he!) Yeah, every time I used the trail I can’t help not to visit the kakaw tree, it was delicious! Manang Celly Torres, Please don’t get mad at me. It wasn’t only me I just imitated the other passers by. (By the way, I would like to thank you and Eric Mauricio all those Free pass in Disney land every time I had a guest… summer is coming and Disneyland is fun.)

Every afternoon, the game would resume. I knew it was  vacation time then but I can’t remember if was summer or Christmas. I was only 8 or 9 years old then and initially it was a lots of fun. THEN, the game started becoming harsh and violent. The market side boys started using  buckets filled with different kinds of s__t to throw to us. The next day, we started using slingshot (palsiit) and wooden gun slingshot with the nail bullets. I did not know who made those, they just handed to us from those who were older than us.

One day someone named Ambo Lopez got seriously injured. He was shot on his head with a nail. I saw it with my two eyes. Blood was gushing from his head and they had to  bring him to the hospital.

Games over!It became  history at this point. Since then, I never saw anybody play the war games anymore. I saw some kids played palsoot but just by themselves, target practice, maybe.. But, no more war games!!

Manong Renato and Manong Rexie, that was  lots of fun with good memories. To those who were in this game, "Peace  be with you all."---#



Written by mabait42 Blog about this entry
This entry has 3 comments:
  • just finished reading your literary piece Manong Seniong...heheheh... I didnt know that my uncle was leader in a brat pack....Had I known, heheheh... I myself indulged in this "war game" while growing up as a kid in the silent town of Asingan...

    Uncle Rene Escorpiso is now in the states... taking his time off probably... Who knows you might bumped ionto each other one time..

    I am now in manila working and living here... Regards to your Mom and Sister and to Manong Johnny...

    Ciao
    Bernie- The son of Eddie and Shirley Escorpiso
  • #2 Comment from samtedd23 | Email samtedd23
  • hahhahahh you guys are talking about our  backyard
  • #1 Comment from litauson | Email litauson
     
    How wonderful it is to reminiscence the old days. As I read your poetic epistleI was elated. You deeply touch my heart.  Me too grew up at the same place you mention, and in fact once a classmate of Renato Escorpiso.  Jovencio Esteban is my granduncle, Cely Torres is my auntie. I used to live with Mrs Bibiana Bautista, which is the sister of J. Esteban. Our house used the be the old big house that belong to the late former judge Dalmacio Guillermo sits across the marketplace, until we moved to the big house next to Bugayong rice mill.

    I used to hang out with Lorna Tayaba and Miss Garcia, also with Pamela Diaz and Lereza Ramos.

    Thank you so much for writing your memoirs!

    Lita Uson
    Ph:(808)779-4394
    julietuson@gmail.com
    www.julietuson.com

No comments: