Tuesday, June 5, 2007

for Ricky

Manong Vic, Flowers and Math!!!

 Picture my excitement when I saw this blog. Okay that mural on the wall, the last diagram on the right which looks like the skeleton of a shell has lots of application. I actually use this diagram to explain the Fibonacci Series -  which leads to Pascal Triangle - which leads to Pythagora's Theorem. They are nothing but Trigonometric functions to find out how tall buildings are, how wide rivers are, how to design buildings so they won't tip over, almost everything man-made around us has this kinds of numbers. And Confused Pinoy's two favorite numbers, 1s and 0s, are also called the golden string. --- Are you still awake??? Oh, okay, now, even those flowers are mathematical abstract. They demonstrate transformations: translation/slide, reflection/flip. rotation/turn. --- How about that unicycle??? That's all math too. Let me know if you want me to go on and explain this concept as well, okay? And who knows, give me enough time and I'll see what I can do with the mamas and the papas ... hahaha.
#1 Comment from rickytagamanaoag -

Hi Ricky,

So how can the knowledge about Math would help that guy mount his unicycle without breaking his coccyx?..What I know is first he has to climb a tree where his unicycle was parked, jump into the saddle and away he go! Maybe not.

I was watching the "Mamas and the Papas" with another musician ( who works part time as a security guard in the Library building..) and I ask him if he could play the bass guitar. "I can play the elecronic bass guitar.." Then  I asked him "how about that stand up bass ?." It is the one which looks like the mother of all fiddles.. "No I can't, that thing has no frets.." Come to think of it, why didn't I thought of that before opening my mouth and put my foot in it.

I would love Math except for the fact that there  are exams every now and then and even if the teacher gives us the correct answer at the start of the test chances are I always arrive to an answer which is miles away from the correct one !

Gotta go, time is a flyin'! Got promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep..:)

 

No comments: