Saturday, June 2, 2007

a photo essay

meet the flower pixie

I bought this garden statuette from a HOMESENSE store in downtown Toronto. It is an artistic piece because the sculptor did an exquisite job on the details, physique, clothes and all. It was very heavy too! The material seems to be marble. I carried this artistic "find" all the way home in a plastic bag (!) since the store had just opened and they do not have any boxes or the bubble wraps. I was so afraid the wings would break off if I would drop it inside the bus.  Fortunately, I made it safely home....

 

The pixie is keeping an eye on the forest critters around my front garden. She loves rabbits. There are two of them with her on the base they use for reposing. But I do not think her favorite dish is rabbit stew...:)

 

A long shot: showing her actual spot in our front yard. Wanted her to be with the plaque given to us by the Toronto Park & Recreations...

 

Just around the tree trunk is a group of crazy frogs. They love fishing, but casting their baits on dry land?

 

We call the 2 kids casted in Plaster of Paris STAR GAZERS. The Hosta plant in front of them is called THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS...

 

Another Hosta. Right now there are already close to 100 varieties of Hosta plants.Each one goes with a fancy name.E.g. Berry Cheery, June, Upside Down Cake..What will they think of next?

These perennials are so easy to maintain. They can be transferred around and they would not die easily...

 

Its sharp and thin leaves earned her the name of STILLETO..

 

Elsewhere in the backyard, our BRIDAL VEIL plant is on full bloom...

 

I did not take the photo of this plant when its flowers were still fresh. Anyway, this is now a plant protected  by law here in Ontario. It is the trillium, the national flower of Ontario. One plant now a days cost 15$. Many years ago, we were able to obtain this plant in Orillia, the well known cottage country here in our province. We visited Jean Martin a former teacher  in San Vicente, Asingan Pangasinan. Anybody now caught stealing the plant from parks will be sent to the slammer, no questions asked.

These flowers are called LUPIN..

 

Can you still see snowballs during the month of June here in Toronto? Of course! You are looking at some!

 

A shot at the marble pixie just as the rays of the setting sun poured on her creating that sombre, yellow effect. Come and visit our garden again!---#

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manong Vic, I should be speechless after viewing your garden in detail, but you should know me by now. I'm now dreading the day you're going to see my yard, eeeek! Those hostas are magnificent. I can't grow hostas in my yard. Deers love 'em! Maybe I'll try putting them in pots instead. That "Bridal Veil", what is it? It's gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Manong Vic,

That's one thing that I miss so much in not having a garden. The sweet smell of nature.  Lucky you guys.

Anonymous said...

With three dogs and a kid...I am lucky if I could grow grass in the backyard of our home in NJ