Friday, June 8, 2007

the joys of self publishing

A giant leap for cyber writers/publishers came about with the advent of Computers. Years ago, when PCs are still 386 ot 486  models, you can not do any kind of publication at home. The PCs advanced together with scanners, printers and digital cameras: this is one edge we had over those Literature Masters like Marlowe, Shakespeare, Dickens et al.

 

I am almost finished with my master pages for the 2nd volume of Sunshine Stories from Pangasinan ( my first compilation came out, almost the same time, last year ). Those were gifts to some of my friends in Hawaii...

The last few days were fun using the Pagemaker 6.5 and my AOL software. Did lots of copy and paste from AOL to Pagemaker..Sifted through my Blog's archives: copy/paste the ones I love..Lots of photographs, a few are in colour due to budget restraints. But my HP 1200 printer does an amzing job reproducing Black & White photos, especially the photo essays from SS. The colour plates, of course are breathtaking and are brilliant only as the Printer and Photo paper brand that that's  used.

I am just finishing up the masters before bringing them over to Kinko's for the duplication process. All colour printing will be done in my basement.

So far I remember  using works by Sonny, Sammy, Ricky, Archie, Annie, Dahlia, David Wise, Mia, Rogel, Ben, Roger and some poetry by Susan and Marissa. ( God, did I miss somebody??)There will be some photos of pretty ladies and beautiful flowers.Doing the editing work is quite fun although I suffered headaches by too much staring at the monitor and missing meals.

The price per book is 20$ which includes postage & handling and cost of materials. I did not charge for my labour. It is a real labour of love and one can not buy love.

For love, they say is priceless. Ain't that the truth...

****

Oh yes, I did not say I was able to nail down ALL the grammatical errors, typos, and other bugs..Remember this is a one man band thingie. I can not afford to hire an editorial assistant...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are almost apologetic when you mention the price. fact is, it should be worth more. im sure nobody minds the price of the book. the bits and pieces of asingan woven in its pages are utterly priceless...