Monday, June 4, 2007

saturday afternoon

..at the Queen/Saulter Library

It was indeed, a beautiful sun soaked afternoon here in Toronto last June 2. The Business Association of  the area put up an art exhibit ( walk in ) at the Jimmie Simpson Park, near the Queen/Saulter Library. A country music group was hired to perform along Queen street ( just beside the Library )  so people would come out and maybe spend a bit of their money too..

The  Library has its own "garage sale".

 

Miguelita was looking after the book sale when I arrived.

For openers, I asked "How's business?" .

"Nobody's buying the books even if they are already down to $1 per hard cover ( selected titles only )," she said.

"Of course, who would buy something which they can borrow free?.."

Now she knows how a retail clerk feels when nobody's buying...

 

The "Mama's and the Papas"  belting out some oldies..Miguelita listened, then she said.."I can sing better than these guys.."

"Okay", I said.."Just do not give up your day job.."

 

Up Queen street was another attraction: the Unicycle Man. How he gets up to his saddle, I had no idea. He juggles some bowling pins while keeping his balance. Or he can rescue cats who are good in climbing trees but do not know how to come down..:)

Across the street is the Jamie Simpson Recreation Center with its peculiar mural..Something about Geometry for those who find Math very exciting. Me? I find Math as exciting as waiting for a newly painted wall to dry up...

 

This is the place Miguelita wanted me to visit. I thought this was a flea market. It turned out to be an exhibit of various artworks. Holy Pastels!, most of the artworks were like Kindergarten stuff costing 200 to 600 $ each. One tent was selling digital photos taken in India blown into different sizes, framed and ready to hang.  I like the shots. But I was not ready to blow 200 $ for something I can do myself..

 

It was about 4:00 pm when I was checking the artworks. I did not have any coffee/snacks yet. Then I suddenly smelled some freshly baked bread and my stomach went crazy. I started looking for the snack table in the art exhibit. There was none. Found out it came from a Bistro near the street corner. The Joy of Java it says on one of its ad. Right. Nice place, but expensive looking. I prefer the coffee at the library. It cost 0$ and 0 cents...

 

Walked around the park and found subjects ready to be shot. You do not even have to ask their permission...

Flowers galore...! The above plus the following ones below came from the same spot at the Jamie Simpson's Park here in Toronto...

For a city covered with snow and ice for almost half of the year, Toronto bursts with flowers, outdoor music and fairs when the good weather finally arrives!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manong Vic, Flowers and Math!!! Picture my excitement when I saw this blog. Okay that mural on the wall, the last diagram on the right which looks like the skeleton of a shell has lots of application. I actually use this diagram to explain the Fibonacci Series -  which leads to Pascal Triangle - which leads to Pythago's Theorem. They are nothing but Trigonometric functions to find out how tall buildings are, how wide rivers are, how to design buildings so they won't tip over, almost everything man-made around us has this kinds of numbers. And Confused Pinoy's two favorite numbers, 1s and 0s, are also called the golden string. --- Are you still awake??? Oh, okay, now, even those flowers are mathematical abstract. They demonstrate transformations: translation/slide, reflection/flip. rotation/turn. --- How about that unicycle??? That's all math too. Let me know if you want me to go on and explain this concept as well, okay? And who knows, give me enough time and I'll see what I can do with the mamas and the papas ... hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was so excited I mis-spelled Mr. Pythagoras' name. A mathematician who's from Samos, ancient Greece and lived in 570 BC. I know, I'll stop.